While making a batch of cupcakes for an event at my children’s school, I veered off my plan…a very common occurrence! Instead of pink butter cream icing made with food colouring, I threw in a few raspberries that happened to be in a bowl on the kitchen counter. The raspberries were enough to transform the icing into a delicate pink colour, with flecks of raspberries through out. The sharpness of the raspberries together with the sweetness of the icing are the perfect combination…a new icing recipe is born!
Standard Cup Cake Recipe:
- 125g butter
- 125g caster sugar
- 2 large eggs (free range is possible)
- 175g self-raising flour
- 15mls milk
(Best if butter and eggs are at room temperature)
Preheat the oven to 175°C/325°F/gas mark 4. Line a 12 hole cupcake tin with paper liners of your choice. I have used pink foil cases, but paper would work just as well.
1. Combine the butter and sugar until smooth
2. Beat the eggs in a separate bowl. Add the egg and flour a little at a time until all the ingredients are combined.
3. Finally add the milk. To advance to vanilla cupcakes, simply add one teaspoon of vanilla extract at this stage.
4. Spoon the mixture in to the cases and pop into the oven for 15 to 18 minutes, until well risen and lightly golden.
5. Leave to cool for 5 minutes, and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
The rule for making buttercream icing is: one part butter to two parts icing sugar and a few teaspoons of boiling water. For a dozen cup cakes I used 150g butter at room temperature. Using an electric mixer, I whisked the butter until it was pale and fluffy. I then sieved in 300g icing sugar, and added four teaspoons of boiling water.
When the cupcakes are completely cooled, fill a piping bag with the icing and with your desired nozzel attached. Decorate as you wish! You could easily use the back of a spoon! Finish off with some fresh raspberries. The cupcakes would make a worthy addition to a summer picnic! Or pop into a pretty cake box and give as a gift. Whatever way you eat them…enjoy!
Want to stay in connected? Subscribe to The Simple Owl to receive blog posts directly to your in box, the easiest way not to miss a giveaway opportunity!
In between blog posts I can be found on social media sharing lots of pretty stuff. Don’t forget to like and follow!